Monday, December 29, 2008

Egg Substitutes

In my quest for better health this coming year I have been trying different lower fat/lower cholesterol egg substitutes.

For making scrambled eggs and omelets I have found that Better-n-Eggs is pretty darned good. Around here they are cheaper than Egg Beaters and they are recommended by "The Best Life Diet", something I have been extremely interested in. One thing I have found though is NOT to mix it with water when making omelets. It does NOT work out.

For baking I have found several things to work. For cookies and pancakes I like half a banana smashed. Or 1 TBS flax meal mixed with 3 TBS H2O for each egg called for. For brownies and cakes I like 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 2 TBS flour and 3 TBS H2O mixed together for each egg. I have been known to use all three in any given recipe.

Of course if you don't have any of the following but do have eggs on hand try mixing 1 whole egg with 11 egg whites. Use 1/4 cup mixture for each egg called for.

Don't throw that yolk away either. You can use it for custards or you can feed them to you dogs and/or cats for a shinier, thicker coat.

No comments: